Object Lesson 6: "God Protects His Children"
God offers protection via his sacrifice to those who seek it.
Just as Daniel was protected from the lions and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were protected from the fiery furnace, so can sand be put underwater and remain dry and a cloth burn without igniting. While not always God’s will to protect our earthly bodies, our heavenly bodies are protected by God by the sacrifice of his son Jesus, if we seek it.
What does it mean to protect?
How does God protect us?
How is this protection possible?
“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.” Isaiah 43:2
Experiment 1: Waterproof sand
Sand (2 cups of sandbox sand available from hardware store)
Scotch Guard spray
Cookie sheet with walls
Optional: ‘Magic Sand’ is available for purchase from various sources, including http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1331. This eliminates items 1 to 5.
Clear container(s) to store sand
2 Drinking glasses or beakers
Glass rod (optional: aids with pouring off the water)
Experiment 2: Burning Cloth
White handkerchief, other cloth, or even a dollar bill
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol purchased from a drug store)
Drinking glass or beaker
Pair of metal tongs
Lighter or matches
Fire extinguisher (for safety)
The experiment used in this object lesson uses a very flammable liquid (rubbing alcohol). Extreme care must be taken to prevent fires and injury, especially by keeping the burning cloth far away from the container containing the isopropyl alcohol during the performance of the object lesson. Under no circumstances shall ‘Mad About Jesus Laboratories’ be liable for any damages or injury that result from the use of, or misuse of, this or any other object lesson or experiment. The use of this experiment is at your own risk. For future details please note the legal disclaimer on the website (www.madaboutjesus.net).
Experiment 1: Waterproof sand
Spread aluminum foil over the cookie sheet (to protect its surface). Put 1 cup of sand on the foil and spread out (leave other cup of sand alone). Bake in an oven for 15-20 minutes at 300oF to remove moisture. Let cool. Spray the entire surface of the sand with a heavy coat of Scotch Guard, spreading out the sand as much as possible. Let dry. Use a Popsicle stick or other disposable item to mix up the sand, breaking up any clumps. Again, spray the entire surface of the sand with a heavy coat of Scotch Guard. Repeat several times or until the entire can of Scotch Guard is used. Let dry completely, then store in the clear container. If you purchase ‘Magic Sand’, the previous preparation is not necessary. Fill one clear glass half way with water, leaving the other empty. Put the container of waterproof sand, and both glasses (one with water) on the display table.
Experiment 2: Burning Cloth
Fill the drinking glass 2/3rd full with a 50:50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol (be sure it is a mixture of water and alcohol to prevent scorching the cloth). Add a generous pinch of table salt (add orange color to resulting fire, otherwise will be hard to view), mix well, and place the glass on the left side of the display table (away from the lighter and the eventual flaming cloth). The lighter, fire extinguisher, and handkerchief can be placed in the center of the display table.
1. “Hi kids. Today we are going to do two experiments, one with water, and the other with FIRE.”
2. “Both are going to show us the protection God gives each of us when we accept Him, not necessarily for our earthly bodies, but for our heavenly bodies.”
Daniel and the lion’s den
3. “To start, let’s tell a story from the bible.”
4. “Does everyone know the story of Daniel and the lions’ den?”
5. “Well, the story goes that there was a guy named Daniel who was a man of God.”
6. “Now, Daniel was given a very good job in the kingdom, because he was a good worker and deserved it.”
7. “But, this made the other workers very jealous.”
8. “So, they decided to play a trick on the king to get Daniel in trouble.”
9. “They convinced the king to make a law that said that anyone who prays to any god or man during the next thirty days, except to the king, will be thrown into the lions' den to die a most horrible death.”
10. “But, Daniel was a man of God.”
11. “He always prayed 3 times a day.”
12. “Even though it was against the law, Daniel continued to pray to God.”
13. “When he was caught and brought before the king by the other workers, the king knew he was tricked.”
14. “But the law was the law.”
15. “Daniel had to be punished.”
16. “So, the king ordered Daniel to be put into the lions’ den overnight, sealing the den with a stone.”
17. “The next morning the king went to see if Daniel was alive.”
18. “He called out to Daniel. ‘Daniel has your God protected you’”
19. “Daniel replied. ‘Yes, he sent an angel to watch over me throughout the night and keep the mouths of the lions closed.’”
20. “The king was delighted.”
21. “Daniel was released with not a scratch on him.”
22. “God had protected him because of his faith.”
23. “Well, I would now like to introduce you to my friend Sandy.” Show the bottle of ‘waterproof’ sand.
24. “Now, Sandy is protected from lots of dangers that we have to worry about ourselves.”
25. “She cannot burn, so fire is not a problem.”
26. “She cannot starve, because she does not eat.”
27. “But, she is afraid of water, because water and sand make mud, not a pleasant sight.”
28. “But, just as God protected Daniel from the lions, we can show protection of sand from water.”
29. “In the bible, God said ‘when you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.’ Isaiah 43:2”
30. “I guess it is a good thing my friend Sandy is a Christian.” Show ‘waterproof’ sand.
31. “Well, let’s see if she is protected from the water by her faith.” Pour some of the ‘waterproof’ sand into the glass containing the water.
32. “Oh boy, she is deep in the bottom of the glass surrounded by water, just as Daniel was surrounded by lions.”
33. “But is she safe, is she dry?” Pour off the water from the glass, being careful to leave the sand in the glass. Once little to water remains in the glass, pour the “dry sand” onto the paper plate.
34. “She’s dry!!!”
35. “It looks like Sandy’s faith protected her, just as it protected Daniel from the lions.”
Image of gold and the fiery furnace
36. “Ok, let’s tell another story from the bible.”
37. “Can anyone tell me the story of the image of gold and the fiery furnace?”
38. “Well, the story goes that a long time ago there was a king named Nebuchadnezzar.”
39. “One night, king Nebuchadnezzar had a dream.”
40. “He dreamed of a huge statue, with a head of pure gold, chest and arms of silver, belly and thighs of bronze, legs of iron, and feet of iron and clay.”
41. “After he woke, the king needed to know the meaning.”
42. “He asked all his advisors, but none could help.”
43. “The only person who could help was named Daniel, for he was a man of God.”
44. “Daniel told the king the entire meaning.”
45. “He said the king was the golden head, but that his kingdom would be destroyed and replaced with lesser kingdoms.”
46. “But eventually God will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed.”
47. “You see, the king was told the future.”
48. “But the king misunderstood the meaning.”
49. “He ordered that a huge image of gold be made, and everyone in the land was to worship this idol when they heard music.”
50. “Those who did not obey would be thrown into a fiery furnace.”
51. “So, music played and people bowed and worshipped the golden idol, just as the king had ordered.”
52. “One day the king was told that friends of Daniel, named Shadrach, Meshach, and Adednego, were not worshipping the image.”
53. “They served God and refused to bow to anyone or anything else.”
54. “This angered the king, so he summoned them.”
55. “He asked them, ‘is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the image of gold I have set up?’”
56. “They told him that they worship the true God, and that if it be His will, He will deliver them from the fiery furnace.”
57. “If it is not His will to save them, they still would refuse to worship the false idol.”
58. “Well, this angered the king.”
59. “Not only did he order the three men to be bound and placed in the middle of the fiery furnace, but he ordered the fire to be made 7 times hotter!”
60. “After the fire was ready, all three men were tossed into the furnace.”
61. “But instead of them burning, the king and his entire kingdom saw the men free of the ropes that held them, walking in the middle of the fire, completely unharmed.”
62. “The king asked them to come out of the furnace.”
63. “When they did, everyone saw that the fire had not harmed these men.”
64. “In fact, their hair and their clothing had no burns, and there was no smell of fire on them.”
65. “God had protected them because of their faith.”
66. “Well, I would now like to introduce you to my friend Hank.” Show the white handkerchief.
67. “Now, just like Sandy, Hank is protected from lots of dangers that we have to worry about ourselves.”
68. “Water is not a problem.”
69. “Neither is starvation.”
70. “But, he is afraid of FIRE.”
71. “I do not think I need to prove to you that if I were to put a match near Hank that he would get burned.”
72. “But, just as God protected Shadrach, Meshach, and Adednego from the fiery furnace, we can show protection of this handkerchief from fire.”
73. ”In the bible in Isaiah 43:2 God said ‘when you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”
74. “Well unlike Sandy, Hank is not yet a Christian, but he wants to be.”
75. “So, let’s first make Hank a Christian by baptizing him in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost.” Dunk the handkerchief into the isopropyl alcohol:water mixture, being sure to wet the entire handkerchief, then squeeze out any extra solution. The handkerchief should be wet, but not dripping. MOVE THE GLASS WITH THE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL FAR AWAY FROM HANK.
76. “Does he look different?”
77. “Well, sure a bit.”
78. “You probably looked a bit wet after you were baptized too.”
79. “Well, let’s he if is now protected from FIRE.” Holding the handkerchief with metal tongs, light the handkerchief with the lighter.
80. “Wow, he is fully surrounded by fire, just like Shadrach, Meshach, and Adednego in the fiery furnace.” A yellow and red flame with burn for 30 seconds, then it will go out. The handkerchief will be unblemished.
82. “That was pretty cool.”
83. “But, is Hank burned?”
84. “No, he’s completely unharmed, not even ashes or soot, just like Shadrach, Meshach, and Adednego.”
85. “It looks like Hank’s faith protected him, just as it protected Shadrach, Meshach, and Adednego from the fiery furnace.”
86. “Well, hopefully today you have been amazed by the length that God will go to protect those he loves, for those who have complete faith in Him.”
87. “But, does this now mean that we as Christians can go underwater and not drown, or walk into fire and not get burned?”
88. “Not really, for even Shadrach, Meshach, and Adednego knew that they would have died in the fire if it was God’s will.”
89. “They were not counting on his protection for their earthly bodies.”
90. “They were counting on his protection for their heavenly bodies.”
91. “It is not always God’s will to protect our earthly bodies.”
92. “Even Christians get hurt, get sick, and die.”
93. “But, our heavenly bodies are protected by God by the sacrifice of his son Jesus.”
94. “This is a promise from Jesus himself.”
95. “We only need to accept Jesus as our Lord and savior to be guaranteed this protection.”
96. “Well, I better get back to the lab.”
97. “I have lots to do to prepare for my next experiment.”
98. “You see, I think I discovered a way to turn water to into ice instantly just by touching it.”
99. “I just need to work the kinks out.”
100. “I will see you again soon.”
1. A demonstration of Magic Sand can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcPXga4keWQ
2. A demonstration of how water and alcohol can burn but not the cloth (paper) can be seen at http://www.instructables.com/id/NonBurning-Money/
3. Magic Sand is commercially available from Steve Spangler Science at http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1331
Please send comments, suggestions, and questions to Daniel at email@example.com
Mad About Jesus Laboratories